Why is Python necessary for Mechanical Engineers?

The common myth is that Mechanical Engineering is not connected with any coding type of platform. Generally, Mechanical Engineers tend to have an aversion to computer programming and end up not understanding the opportunities that they miss out on. As we move into a future that is tied up intrinsically with electric cars, autonomous transportation, and automation, the next era of mechanical, aerospace & automotive engineers need to understand how they can integrate mechanical engineering concepts with a computer language in order to simulate concepts or automate them at a faster pace. Python for that matter is an extremely easy and efficient programming language. It can solve complex problems in a matter of seconds. Even if you are a mechanical/automobile engineer, Python can still be handy for you on many occasions.

Areas, where Python is used in the mechanical engineering industry, include but are not limited to.

 

                                                                                    3 uses of Python for Mechanical Engineers

 

Numerical Analysis

The most popular application of python is to perform numerical analysis. When problems linear equations and ODE/PDE are involved, it would take a long time to solve the problems analytically. In terms of mechanical engineering, there are usually boundary conditions present which make it twice harder to solve numerical analysis problems.

Let us assume you are trying to find the pressure difference across a pipe when there is a liquid flowing through it. Not only will the problem take forever to solve, but it will also be extremely hard to obtain accurate values or plot the differences in a graph. With programming languages, you can solve such problems in a matter of seconds and obtain graphical simulations at the same instant.

Learning numerical analysis and coding opens up a plethora of opportunities in areas like manufacturing, automotive, energy, and even mechanical jobs in software companies (like thermal engineers). Software companies like Google and Facebook hire Mechanical/Thermal engineers to ensure efficient and safe thermal management of their database and cluster computers in their respective companies. These engineers use programming languages like MATLAB/Python to write scripts and then import them to CFD software to test numerous designs. It is common knowledge that Google has the following engineering motto “Python where we can, C++ where we must” because Python is less complex to use than C++.

 

Thermodynamics

Python can be used to solve classical thermodynamics problems. Whether your problem involves chemical kinetics or fluid dynamics, you can write a code to solve the problem and save your time. In the real world, industries do not pay attention to how you solve your problems or complete your tasks. You can spend 60% of your time solving mathematical/ thermodynamics problems and rush through the other 40% of the task or you can spend 20% of your time on these problems by solving them in Python and focusing on the real troubles at hand. The only aspect of your outcome that matters is your efficiency. Python has a huge library and a simple syntax that can help you solve complex problems easily.

 

CFD

In the field of computational fluid dynamics, Python has a massive application. In order to simulate problems in CFD software, you will be required to write your scripts in programming languages like MATLAB/Python.

Python is also used in other areas of mechanical engineering like vibrations and dynamic motion, simulation and modelling engineering etc. Mechanical and automobile industries use python to automate tasks. Even when the script is written in another programming language, it is rewritten in Python before automation since it is the most common language and hence the interface between industries and codes.

A look at the careers page of companies like Tesla, Mercedes Benz and Boeing, etc. reveal that they employ and prefer mechanical engineers who can code.

A couple of snapshots from Tesla’s website:

A snapshot from Mercedes Benz’s career page:

A snapshot from Boeing’s website:

If you are interested in learning Python, you can check out the course below:

 

Check out List of Job opportunities for your Engineering Domain


GET COURSE COUNSELLING TODAY

Get a 1-on-1 demo to understand what is included in the course and how it can benefit you from an experienced sales consultant. The demo session will help you enroll in this course with a clear vision and confidence.

Request a Demo Session

Choose these related course in Civil Engineering

See all

Get in touch with us
Hurry up! Hurry up!
+91

© 2022 Skill-Lync Inc. All Rights Reserved.