Week 01 - Basics of Electric Vehicle Simulations
- In the first video, we will explain the course curriculum and learning objectives in detail. We will explain what you will learn across the following modules.
- Why Electric Vehicles (EVs)?
- What are the components of an Electric Vehicle?
- How are EV components engineered?
- Need for simulations
- Simulation use cases
Week 02 - Why Electric Vehicles
- In this video, we will focus on why there is a strong preference to Electric Vehicles as of 2020. We will take the logical approach of comparing key performance aspects of Electric Vehicles and Internal Combustion Engines-powered Vehicles.
- Comparing Internal Combustion Engine-powered Vehicles and Electric Vehicles from an emissions and performance stand-point
- To understand how the energy for propulsion originates
- Key emissions and how they are regulated
Week 03 - Vehicle Architecture
- In this video, we will focus on the functions of key components that are unique to electric vehicles.
- We will do this by taking you through the following concepts
- Differences in Vehicle Architecture between IC Engine Vehicles and Electric Vehicles
- Functions of the key components of an Electric Vehicle
- Common Configuration of Battery Packs
- Fundamentals of Electrical Engineering
Week 04 - Fundamentals of Batteries for EV Applications
- In this video, we will focus on the fundamentals of Batteries.
- To be specific, the following concepts are covered
- How does a Battery work?
- Choosing Materials for Cathode and Anode
- Key Performance Criteria
- Temperature Sensitivity
- Source of Heat Generation in a Battery
- Approach to design a cooling system
Week 05 - Heat Transfer Modelling for Batteries
- In this video, we will focus on pen and paper calculations to estimate the temperature distribution inside a battery.
- Analytical Measurement of Temperature Distribution
- Energy Balance on a Control Volume
- Deriving a governing equation
- Analytical Solution
- GSheets Calculator
- Drawbacks of Analytical Method
- Solution to overcome the drawbacks
Week 06 - Simulating a BTMS
- In this video, we will explain how a basic Battery Thermal Management System can be simulated using ANSYS Fluent. You will be learning the following
- How to setup a case using ANSYS Fluent
- BTMS problem definition
- Boundary Conditions
- Initial Conditions
- Setting up Material Properties
- Activating Key Physical Models
- Case Setup Walkthrough
- Results and Discussion
Week 07 - EV Motor Sizing and Motor Drive Analysis - Introduction
- In this session ,you will learn
- Motor power estimation for on-road Electric Vehicle,
- Forces acting on vehicle – Rolling resistance & aerodynamic drag
- Acceleration and hill climbing
- Quick calculations in Excel
- Driving cycle
- Classification of electric motors
- Factors affecting the choice of an EV motor
Week 08 - Motor Power Estimation, Motor Sizing
- In this session,you will learn
- Fundamentals of Brushed DC and BLDC motor operation and construction
- Fundamental equations for PMSM sizing
- Basics of power converter operation
- Analytical design of Permanent Magnet Synchronous Machine (PMSM) with Ansys RMxprt and Maxwell (2D)
Week 09 -External Aerodynamics
- In this module, we discuss the basics of external Aerodynamics.
- We will touch upon the key concepts of fluid mechanics and then teach you the 2 most fundamental forces in Aerodynamics.
- We also delve into how to perform external flow simulation using Ansys Fluent.
Week 10 - DC-DC Converter
- An overview of EV power system
- Propulsion system and auxiliary system of an EV
- Basics of EV battery system and choice of system voltage
- Types of DC-DC converter for an EV application
- Ansys tools at various stages of design
- Template-based design of full bridge converter using Ansys PExprt
- Circuit simulation of power converter using Ansys Twin builder
- Magnetic analysis of high frequency transformer with Ansys PEmag
- Electrothermal analysis of PCB with Ansys SIwave
- Thermal considerations of PCB using Ansys Icepak