A short course which deals with the basics of electric vehicle simulations that can be performed using the software ANSYS. Note: The course is free for Indian Residents only.
Basics of Electric Vehicle Simulations
Software for developing this course has been provided by Ansys Inc.
In this course, you will go through different mechanical and electrical aspects of simulations with respect to an Electric Vehicle.
Browse through the slider images to get a peek into the types of simulations that you will be performing along the way. We will rely upon tools made by Ansys to perform these various simulations. The tools are:
The Basics of Electric Vehicle SImulations course is designed to give you a walk-through on how different EV components are engineered using Simulations. The course is split into 4 components. In each component, we will deal with one particular aspect of an Electric Vehicle. As you watch each video, pay attention to the challenges and assignments that are provided as part of the course. These assignments will help you in applying the concepts that you would have learnt. At any point in time, if you have questions, do not hesitate to ask us. We hope you enjoy the course. The following 4 components are covered in this course.
In the first video, we will explain the course curriculum and learning objectives in detail. We will explain what you will learn across the following modules.
● Why Electric Vehicles (EVs)?
● What are the components of an Electric Vehicle?
● How are EV components engineered?
● Need for simulations
● Simulation use cases
In this video, we will focus on why there is a strong preference to Electric Vehicles as of 2020. We will take the logical approach of comparing key performance aspects of Electric Vehicles and Internal Combustion Engines-powered Vehicles.
● Comparing Internal Combustion Engine-powered Vehicles and Electric Vehicles from an emissions and performance stand-point
● To understand how the energy for propulsion originates
● Key emissions and how they are regulated
In this video, we will focus on the functions of key components that are unique to electric vehicles. We will do this by taking you through the following concepts
● Differences in Vehicle Architecture between IC Engine Vehicles and Electric Vehicles
● Functions of the key components of an Electric Vehicle
● Common Configuration of Battery Packs
● Fundamentals of Electrical Engineering
In this video, we will focus on the fundamentals of Batteries. To be specific, the following concepts are covered
● How does a Battery work?
● Choosing Materials for Cathode and Anode
● Key Performance Criteria
● Temperature Sensitivity
● Source of Heat Generation in a Battery
● Approach to design a cooling system
In this video, we will focus on pen and paper calculations to estimate the temperature distribution inside a battery.
● Analytical Measurement of Temperature Distribution
● Energy Balance on a Control Volume
● Deriving a governing equation
● Analytical Solution
● GSheets Calculator
● Drawbacks of Analytical Method
● Solution to overcome the drawbacks
In this video, we will explain how a basic Battery Thermal Management System can be simulated using ANSYS Fluent. You will be learning the following
● How to setup a case using ANSYS Fluent
● BTMS problem definition
● Boundary Conditions
● Initial Conditions
● Setting up Material Properties
● Activating Key Physical Models
● Case Setup Walkthrough
● Results and Discussion
In this module, we discuss the basics of external Aerodynamics. We will touch upon the key concepts of fluid mechanics and then teach you the 2 most fundamental forces in Aerodynamics. We also delve into how to perform external flow simulation using Ansys Fluent.
Google Sheets is a spreadsheet program that is available for free. We will use Google Sheets for building quick calculators.
RMxprt is a template-based design tool for Electrical Machine Design
Ansys Maxwell is a an Electromagnetic field simulation software that is widely used to simulate Electrical-mechanical systems
Ansys PExprt is a tool that lets you come up with the right winding strategy for your power converters
Learn industry-relevant skills from technical experts
All of our courses are mapped to specific job functions in the market
Work on projects, publish to your profile and get hired in top companies
In the past 12 months, we have placed 250+ students, helped students get over USD 500,000 in scholarships
Get access to highly-dedicated technical and customer support teams
Once you are part of Skill-Lync, you can keep learning relevant skills through LIVE webinars and workshops